Re: [RFC/PATCH] e100 driver didn't support any MII-less PHYs...

From: Kok, Auke
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 11:35:50 EST

Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 03:09:25PM -0800, Kok, Auke wrote:
>> Andreas Mohr wrote:
>>> Perhaps it's useful to file a bug/patch
>>> on http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/ ? Perhaps -mm testing?
>> I wanted to push this though our testing labs first which has not happened due to
>> time constraints - that should quickly at least confirm that the most common nics
>> work OK after the change with your patch. I'll try and see if we can get this
>> testing done soon.
>
> Oh, full-scale regression testing even? Nice idea...
> Would optionally be even better if during hardware tests one could also
> dig out some i82503-based card (or additional MII-less cards?)
> since I didn't really make any effort yet to try to make them all
> recognized/supported by my patch already (would have been out of scope anyway
> since I have this single card only).

the problem is that I think that most of those (mii-less cards) are customly
designed by OEM's that buy the silicon and glue on a different interface and we
usually do not carry those designs in our labs apart from a few exceptions. So, I
can at least touch the common hardware in testing, but not the exotic stuff.

Auke