Re: Value of __*{init,exit} anotations?

From: James Bottomley
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 17:44:36 EST

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 00:32 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 03:41:35PM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> > > For the embedded people a few kb here and there is worth it.

> > > Again - savings when we build-in the drivers.
> > > And without the checks we see 'funny' linker errors on the architectues
> > > that can continue to add the .exit.text in /DISCARD/
> >
> > Perhaps you have different figures, but my standard kernel linking ones
> > tell me that the discard sections only save tens of k (not hundreds that
> > the init ones save), so I really do think they have no real benefit and
> > land us huge problems of pointer references into discarded sections.
> >
> > I don't deny we can invest large amounts of work to fix our current
> > issues and build large scriptable checks to ensure we keep it fixed ...
> > I'm just asking if, at the end of the day, it's really worth it.
>
> Some people consider it worth it for their memory restricted systems
> and would like to drive the annotations even further. [1]
>
> My experience while fixing section bugs during the last years is that
> the __dev{init,exit}* are actually the main question since they are both
> the majority of annotations and the ones that bring benefits only
> in a case that has become very exotic (CONFIG_HOTPLUG=n).
>
> All the other annotations either both bring value for everyone
> (plain __init* and __exit*) or are nothing normal drivers would
> use (__cpu* and _mem*).
>
> People at linux-arch (Cc'ed) might be better at explaining how often
> CONFIG_HOTPLUG gets used in real-life systems and how big the savings
> are there.
>
> That might be a good basis for deciding whether it's worth it.

I'll certainly buy this. Perhaps killing everything other than __init
and __exit (meaning discardable whether the system is hotplug, suspend
or whatever) might get rid of 90% of the problem while still preserving
90% of the benefits. I think a lot of the issues do come from confusion
over whether it should be __init, __devinint etc .

We can argue later over the benefit of __exit ...

James