Purpose of numa_node?

From: Chris Snook
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 19:48:25 EST

While pondering ways to optimize I/O and swapping on large NUMA machines, I noticed that the numa_node field in struct device isn't actually used anywhere. We just have a couple dozen lines of code to conditionally create a sysfs file that will always return -1. Is anyone even working on code to actually use this field? I think it's a good piece of information to keep track of, so I'm not suggesting we remove it, but I want to make sure I'm not stepping on toes or duplicating effort if I try to make it useful.

-- Chris