Re: about relocs.c on x86

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 04:52:53 EST

* Yinghai Lu <yhlu.kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> why not rename relocs.c to relocs_32.c?
>
> it is only used for 32 bit, even it is host app.

during the big first phase of unification we generally kept file names
untouched if they were only present in one of the previous
architectures. I.e. pure 32-bit and pure 64-bit files were not renamed
to _32/_64.

Now that we've got lots of unified 32/64-bit files it might make sense
to rename the 'standalone' ones into _32/_64 if they share the same
directory with 32/64-bit source files - to reduce the confusion. And
given that for example arch/x86/boot/compressed/misc.c is unified while
arch/x86/boot/compressed/relocs.c is 32-bit only, i'd agree with your
observation. Feel free to send a rename patch for such cases.

Ingo