Re: [BUG?] GDTH driver not working after upgrade to 2.6.24

From: Sven Köhler
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 06:57:09 EST

Yes the gdth driver passed an open hart surgery in kernel 2.6.24. The bad thing
about it is that all three of the Coders that did that did not have any HW to work
on. One of them is me. We did cry for tester for a long time but no one came forward.

All i'd like to ask is WHY!?
WHY such a big open heart surgery?
OK, you have your reasons.

Could you test patches for us? first thing would be to enable debug output patch below.

The machine is still production. It will be replaced by a 64bit system with an AACRAID card some time in the future. Then, i could maybe test patches on the old machine. But unfortunatly, it's not my machine. It's just administrated by me. And i don't know, what's exactly is the future of it.

If you absolutely need a 2.6.24 kernel, + gdth in a production system you could
checkout the 2.6.23 driver and compile. The old driver will work the same in 2.6.24.
It will not however even compile in 2.6.25-rcx.

I see. Thanks for the hint. Would be an alternative. Actually, i don't need 2.6.24 - but if something security related is fixed, then i'm not able to move on to 2.6.24. And i'm using Gentoo. There's not really a kernel maintained by the distribution.

If any one wants to send me a card that uses the gdth driver, I will be very happy
to debug this card, and return it once I'm done.

I don't think, it's a seperate card, that i could send you. It's some 19" rack server with such a card on-board, i think.

So it don't see much opportunity for me to test patched and stuff :-(