Re: [Regression] 2.6.24-git9: RT sched mishandles artswrapper(bisected)

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 07:11:28 EST

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 12:50 +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, 1 of February 2008, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > > It arts run as root, or does it use RLIMIT_RTPRIO to allow users to
> > > execute realtime tasks?
>
> artswrapper is setuid root and RLIMIT_RTPRIO is apparently not used.
> Still, artswrapper is running as a regular user, so it most probably drops
> privileges early.
>
> BTW, it fails while running the artsmessage utility used for displaying arts
> error messages, so I guess there's an error in arts that this thing tries to
> display and deadlocks (or something like that).
>
> Should I test the patch nevertheless?

Don't think that would help any in this situation. The thing to look out
for are RT tasks running with a different uid than 0.

This patch would only stop a task from obtaining RT class scheduling
when already in a (misconfigured) group. If the task is RT and then
switches group another - similar - thing is needed.

Does this artsmessage thing also run with RT priority?