Re: PATCH/RFC: bzImage payload as compressed ELF file.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 13:09:36 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Ian Campbell <ijc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Peter,

This patch switches the payload of a bzImage file to be in compressed ELF format. There are several rough edges which need to be addressed before it could go any further but I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the general approach before I spend time cleaning it up.

I'm mainly interested in something along these lines to allow the Xen bootloader to load a bzImage so that distros don't have to maintain two kernel packages with the same basic bits in different file formats, I think it would probably be of use to the kexec and/or lguest folks too.

this looks quite interesting to me. Peter, what do you think?

Definitely the right thing, let's just get the rough edges taken care of, in particular the CRC32 bit.

-hpa