Re: [patch 2/4] mmu_notifier: Callbacks to invalidate addressranges

From: Robin Holt
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 19:39:16 EST

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:21:45PM -0600, Robin Holt wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 04:05:08PM -0800, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > Are you saying that you get the callback when transitioning from a read
> > only to a read write pte on the *same* page?
>
> I believe that is what we saw. We have not put in any more debug
> information yet. I will try to squeze it in this weekend. Otherwise,
> I will probably have to wait until early Monday.

I hate it when I am confused. I misunderstood what Dean had been saying.
After I looked at his test case and remembering his screen at the time
we were discussing, I am nearly positive that both the parent and child
were still running (no exec, no exit). We would therefore have two refs
on the page and, yes, be changing the pte which would warrant the callout.
Now I really need to think this through more. Sounds like a good thing
for Monday.

Thanks,
Robin