Re: Various Errors with recent GIT

From: Daniel Hazelton
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 00:10:44 EST

On Friday 01 February 2008 23:42:47 Gabriel C wrote:
> Daniel Hazelton wrote:
> > Another problem is one I wasn't able to find any kind of trigger for,
> > other than just running XChat. Every so often XChat would seem to freeze
> > - but if run from the command line, switching to that terminal window and
> > hitting "ctrl-c" would cause it to rapidly update and become responsive
> > again. The freeze would happen at a random time interval that I couldn't
> > figure out.
>
> I got that Xchat problem on i686 yesterday.
>
> I'm running 2.6.24-06481-gaa62999 right now with near 4h uptime and the
> problem seems fixed.

Hrm... I'll see about updating my local git tree and building a new kernel.
With the x86 merger if it's fixed in 32bit it is probably also fixed in
64bit.

The other problems are a bigger concern, though. I don't like seeing warnings
in my logs - makes me worry about the long-term stability of my systems. And
with the apparent problem in libata I'm not too sure I will be able to
successfully boot into a new kernel - after all, the system just spins on
trying and retrying the drive without any progress. (And it seems random,
though it does appear that the trick to a successful boot is to get the
hardware completely powered down - in other words, a completely cold boot)

DRH

--
Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.