Re: Integrating cpusets and cpu isolation [was Re: [CPUISOL] CPUisolation extensions]

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 01:14:01 EST

Max wrote:
> Here is the list of things of issues with sched_load_balance flag from CPU isolation
> perspective:

A separate thread happened to start up on lkml.org, shortly after
yours, that went into this in considerable detail.

For example, the interaction of cpusets, sched_load_balance,
sched_domains and real time scheduling is examined in some detail on
this thread. Everyone participating on that thread learned something
(we all came into it with less than a full picture of what's there.)

I would encourage you to read it closely. For example, the scheduler
code should not be trying to access per-cpuset attributes such as
the sched_load_balance flag (you are correct that this would be
difficult to do because of the locking; however by design, that is
not to be done.)

This thread begins at:

scheduler scalability - cgroups, cpusets and load-balancing
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/29/60

Too bad we didn't think to include you in the CC list of that
thread from the beginning.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability