Re: [2.6.24-rc8-mm1][regression?] numactl --interleave=all doesn'tworks on memoryless node.

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 14:03:47 EST

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:

> To be honest I've never tried seriously to make 32bit NUMA policy
> (with highmem) work well; just kept it at a "should not break"
> level. That is because with highmem the kernel's choices at
> placing memory are seriously limited anyways so I doubt 32bit
> NUMA will ever work very well.

Memory policies do not work reliably with config highmem (I have never
seen such usage because large memory systems are typically 64 bit
which have no highmem, but there are some 32bit numa uses of HIGHMEM) ....

Memory policies are only applied to the highest zone. So if a system has
highmem on some nodes and not on the others then policies will only be
applied if allocations happen to occur on the highmem nodes.