Re: [BUG] regression from 2.6.24-rc8-mm1 and 2.6.24-mm1 kernel panicwhile bootup

From: Balbir Singh
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 07:32:21 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:48:17 +0530 Kamalesh Babulal <kamalesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> argh, I'd forgotten about that. You bisected it down to a clearly-innocent
> patch and none of the mm developers appeared interested.
>
> Oh well, it'll probably be in mainline tomorrow. That should get it
> fixed.

We've tracked this down to a problem where the nodeid might be invalid. Kamalesh
is investigating problem. We suspect we are doing a kmalloc_node with an invalid
nodeid.

We see

cpu with no node 2, num_online_nodes 1
cpu with no node 3, num_online_nodes 1

in the bootlog. Kamalesh verified that the problem exists with both slub and slab.

--
Warm Regards,
Balbir Singh