Re: brk randomization breaks columns

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 11:06:50 EST

* Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> . Yes, setarch i386 -R /usr/local/bin/uemacs (etc) fixes them, too.
>
> What about this?
>
> Heap randomization breaks /lib/libc.so.5.4.33, make it possible to
> randomize normal stuff but leave the heap alone.

certainly looks fine to me, but please also add a .config to make it
default to 2. The reason is that a good portions of the overflows happen
on the heap and 99.9% of the Linux users do not run 1996-era glibc
anymore.

something like CONFIG_COMPAT_BRK=y, which would cause randomize_va_space
to default to 1, and if a user or distro disables it, it will default to
2.

Ingo