Re: Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel

From: Vladislav Bolkhovitin
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 14:01:59 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:

better. So for example, I personally suspect that ATA-over-ethernet is way better than some crazy SCSI-over-TCP crap, but I'm biased for simple and low-level, and against those crazy SCSI people to begin with.

Current ATAoE isn't. It can't support NCQ. A variant that did NCQ and IP
would probably trash iSCSI for latency if nothing else.

AoE is truly a thing of beauty. It has a two/three page RFC (say no more!).

But quite so... AoE is limited to MTU size, which really hurts. Can't really do tagged queueing, etc.

iSCSI is way, way too complicated.

I fully agree. From one side, all that complexity is unavoidable for case of multiple connections per session, but for the regular case of one connection per session it must be a lot simpler.

And now think about iSER, which brings iSCSI on the whole new complexity level ;)

It's an Internet protocol designed by storage designers, what do you expect?

For years I have been hoping that someone will invent a simple protocol (w/ strong auth) that can transit ATA and SCSI commands and responses. Heck, it would be almost trivial if the kernel had a TLS/SSL implementation.

Jeff