Re: Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel

From: Vladislav Bolkhovitin
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 14:22:23 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
iSCSI is way, way too complicated.

I fully agree. From one side, all that complexity is unavoidable for case of multiple connections per session, but for the regular case of one connection per session it must be a lot simpler.

Actually, think about those multiple connections... we already had to implement fast-failover (and load bal) SCSI multi-pathing at a higher level. IMO that portion of the protocol is redundant: You need the same capability elsewhere in the OS _anyway_, if you are to support multi-pathing.

I'm thinking about MC/S as about a way to improve performance using several physical links. There's no other way, except MC/S, to keep commands processing order in that case. So, it's really valuable property of iSCSI, although with a limited application.

Vlad