Re: [git pull] x86 updates

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 16:55:23 EST

* Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > btw., what's the practical consequence of getting these section
> > flags wrong - for example writable data can end up in executable
> > section accidentally and be marked readonly by RODATA? Or can
> > anything more serious happen? (they cannot get into any of the
> > discarded sections, we filter for them explicitly in the linker
> > scripts)
>
> I have not investigated this. My attention were due to section
> mismatch warnings pointing to section names I could not find in the
> code. When I did an objdump of vmlinux the funny section names were
> gone so I expected ld had recognized them and merged them somehow -
> but I did not look closer as my focus was to get rid of them anyway.

ah, indeed. if we have the same section name but different attributes
then i guess gas/ld resolves the conflict by auto-generating these
.1/.2, etc. artificial sections. They dont show up in the vmlinux
because they went through the linker scripts that merges them into a
single output section. But modpost picks up those pre-merge names.

> I also did a quick skimming of info ld - but no luck.

Peter pointed me to "info gas", which has a "Sections and Relocation"
chapter.

Ingo