Re: Xilinx: hwicap driver comments

From: Josh Boyer
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 16:36:28 EST

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:42:03 -0800
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:08:50 +0100
> Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > first of all, I think that the driver should go through lkml before upstream
> > merge or at least be in -mm for a while (I think this used to be a rule some
> > time ago), correct me if I'm wrong, but none of it happened.
>
> Never seen it before in my life. Can't find any references to it in any of
> the mailing lists. I ended up googling the changelog text for a whopping
> three hits and it appears that this change went into the powerpc patch
> system (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=16712)
>
> How it got from there into Linux is also a mystery. I see a batch of
> powerpc updates just went into mainline but I don't know whose tree was
> pulled - I wasn't copied on any pull request and I can't find one on the
> kernel mailing list.
>
> Perhaps Paul has just done a stealth merge, but the patch to which you
> refer doesn't have his signoff. Very confused.

Gah, no. Don't blame Paul. It wasn't actually stealth either as it
got posted a few times to the powerpc list.

You can blame me and/or Grant if you'd like. It's a Virtex specific
driver and I didn't see any problem with it going in through the
powerpc tree. I'll/we'll do better next time.

> Guys, can we all play too?

Sure. You could add my tree to -mm if you want. Though I'd really
rather if we all sync up with Paul sooner so you don't have to track 5
or 6 "powerpc" trees.

josh