Re: git tree urls

From: Ilpo Järvinen
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 18:37:02 EST

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Feb 8 2008 22:34, ael wrote:
> >
> >Sure, I looked there in some depth. But some/most are special purpose or
> > 'locals'. One needs a map for the "main" repositories...
>
> Indeed, a page on kernelnewbies.org with the most important repositories
> would be helpful.
>
> Well, to start:
>
> torvalds/linux-2.6.git Mainline
> jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git Network devices
> davem/net-2.6.git Networking
> x86/linux-2.6-x86.git x86
> mchehab/v4l-dvb.git V4L and DVB
> bunk/trivial.git Spellos, typos and the obvious
>
> But it's not that easy. netdev-2.6.git for example regularly gets merged
> into net-2.6.git, so you get a fairly recent netdev tree by choosing
> either netdev or net.

Also explaining the rotation of those two trees would be useful (I
suppose some other subsystems too use somewhat similar rotation). I.e.,
net-2.6.26.git will eventually be opened and new development should be
based on it (whenever such tree with a future version number is
available), and that tree then becomes net-2.6.git once 2.6.25 is out.
net-2.6.git is usually for fixes only unless merge window is currently
open. These things come up quite often.

--
i.