Re: [git pull] x86 arch updates for v2.6.25

From: Amit Shah
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 09:11:53 EST

On Jan 30, 2008 6:45 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> - PIE/brk randomization. Not a single regression happened due to this so
> far (and it's been in x86.git for months) - it seems exec-shield has
> rooted out stuff years ago - but we'll see. Details in the patch. It's
> easily revertable in any case.

cc503c1b "x86: PIE executable randomization" doesn't boot on my Ubuntu
Feisty Fawn Intel Core2 system.

I get numerous segfaults before getting a (initramfs) busybox shell. A
similar bug was reported much earlier:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/7/20/421

Sadly, reverting this (or all of the PIE patches) results in a lot of
conflicts now with git-revert too failing, mainly in
arch/x86/mm/mmap_64.c.

--
Amit Shah
http://www.amitshah.net/