Marvel based pcie gbit controller on nForce 630i mainboard

From: Christian Auby
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 11:42:22 EST

I recently acquired an XFX nForce 630i based motherboard, and have been experiencing hard freezes from time to time that I originally had no idea why happened. With hard freeze I mean exactly that; no log messages that I know of (though there might be some I don't know of), picture and input frozen.

After a bit I tried the following 64-bit kernels and found the culprit:

2.6.18-6 (debian stable)
2.6.22-14 (ubuntu server)
2.6.24-2 (debian unstable)

All of them crash when transferring files over samba, a hard freeze requiring shutdown.

I added a PCI network card, and without changing anything else things now work fine. The faulting network card is detected as:

---
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
---

Or more detailed:

---
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 00ba
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [5c] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
Capabilities: [e0] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0
Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
Device: Latency L0s unlimited, L1 unlimited
Device: AtnBtn- AtnInd- PwrInd-
Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Port 1
Link: Latency L0s <256ns, L1 unlimited
Link: ASPM Disabled RCB 128 bytes CommClk+ ExtSynch-
Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1
---

Is this a simple case of unsupported new hardware (atm all devices are listed as unknown with lspci, IDs pending according to the lspci page), or is there something more sinister afoot? If any more information is required (I'm sure there is), I will do my best to provide it with my limited Linux knowledge.

Regards,

Christian

PS: Please CC me on reply.