Re: preempt rcu bug on s390

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 10:39:22 EST

Heiko Carstens wrote:

Does s390 start out in nohz mode? The reason I ask is that it feels like
an off-by-one error for the dynticks_progress_counter.

Actually I forgot to add a few ifdefs to make the code do something :)
That just reveals that we have a conflict with the dynticks implementation
and s390's nohz that shows up in what rcu_irq_enter/exit assume.
I didn't patch s390 and common code so it will work, but I think the
patch you mentionened will fix the problem I reported.
So I guess we should either convert s390 to use the generic dynticks
implementation or disable preemptible rcu on s390 until we converted
our code.

Thanks for helping debugging this!

Heiko, thanks for reporting this.

This patch still didn't make it into -rc1, and it really should. Because without this patch, PREEMPT_RCU and NO_HZ together is broken, on all boxes.

The patch is in Ingo's sched-devel git tree, as 9460545f81ea48b07dbb20456a8ede776d8ebc1b (last I checked) and titled:

rcu: add support for dynamic ticks and preempt rcu

-- Steve