Re: [2.6 patch] x86: allow 64bit setting in Kconfig

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 12:30:45 EST

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 06:13:21PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> > In my experience there is no way for me to enable 64BIT without somehow
> > manually fiddling with ARCH.
> >
> > No matter whether it's menuconfig or oldconfig or whatever else.
>
> >From the patch description when ARCH=x86 were introduced:
>
> # make {allno,allyes,allmod,rand}config [ARCH=...]
> option \ host arch | 32bit | 64bit
> ./. | 32bit | 64bit
> ARCH=x86 | 32bit | 32bit
> ARCH=i386 | 32bit | 32bit
> ARCH=x86_64 | 64bit | 64bit
>
> The general rule are that ARCH= and native architecture
> takes precedence over the configuration.
> So make ARCH=i386 [whatever] will always build a 32-bit
> kernel no matter what the configuration says.
> The configuration will be updated to 32-bit if it was
> configured to 64-bit and the other way around.
>
> This behaviour is consistent with previous behaviour so
> no suprises here.
>
> make ARCH=x86 will per default result in a 32-bit kernel
> but as the only ARCH= value x86 allow the user to select
> between 32-bit and 64-bit using menuconfig.
>
> So what you see is what was then discussed and considered
> optimal functionality.

What you describe differs vastly from what Ingo considers optimal and
describes as seeing on his computer. Why does oldconfig preserve the
32/64bit for him?

And the fact that kconfig does not let you choose the 32/64bit unless
you explicitely set ARCH=x86 is for users simply confusing.

> We shall keep in mind the main target here is to keep
> peoples systems running as usual when they shift to
> the unified {32 bit / 64 bit} x86 arch.
>
> If you want anything changed then do this with respect to
> the intended behaviour as documented above and keep the
> setup used by our less kernel skilled testers in mind.
>
> And you do not belong to the "less kernel skilled"
> testers base.

Your table talks about {allno,allyes,allmod,rand}config, and this is
definitely not stuff "less kernel skilled testers" should be using.

> Sam

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.