Re: [sample] mem_notify v6: usage example

From: KOSAKI Motohiro
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 13:37:36 EST

Hi Andreas,

Thank you very good comment.

> Having such notification handled by glibc to free up unused malloc (or
> any heap allocations) would be very useful, because even if a program
> does "free" there is no guarantee the memory is returned to the kernel.

Yes, no guarantee.
but current glibc-malloc very frequently return memory to kernel.

glibc default behavior

1. over 1M memory: return memory just free(3) called.
(you can change threshold by MALLOC_MMAP_MAX_ environment)
2. more lower: return memory when exist continuous 128k at heap tail.
(you can change threashold by MALLOC_TRIM_THRESHOLD_ environment)

if you know very memory consumption by already freed memory situation,
please tell me situation detail and consumption memory size.

> I think that having a generic reservation framework is too complex, but
> hiding the details of /dev/mem_notify from applications is desirable.
> A simple wrapper (possibly part of glibc) to return the poll fd, or set
> up the signal is enough.

Agreed.
if large consumption situation exist, I'm behind you.

Thanks!