Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: David Miller
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 01:11:31 EST

From: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:17:51 -0800

> this is why you need specific trees for just the API change

API trees don't work, just like other changes they will have
interdependencies on things like fixups, cleanups, etc.

This is why, with the networking, we've just tossed all of the network
driver stuff in there too. I can rebase freely, remove changesets,
rework them, etc. and this causes a very low amount of pain for Jeff
Garzik and John Linville.

This may or not be a legitimate thing to do with other heavily
dependant subsystems.