Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 13:02:57 EST

Stephen Rothwell wrote:
Andrew was looking for someone to run a linux-next tree that just
contained the subsystem git and quilt trees for 2.6.x+1 and I (in a
moment of madness) volunteered. So, this is to announce the creating of
such a tree (it doesn't exist yet) which will require some (hopefully)
small amount of work on the part of subsystem maintainers.

As noted to Andrew in private email, I think this would be great.

akpm's -mm tree tends to have "x+1" changes in it, and also stuff that's not fully baked yet. I would definitely like to see a tree composed of all the sub-trees where maintainers said "yes, I think this is baked and ready for x+1". Then -mm and not-yet-baked git changes can layer on top of that.

As others are noting, API changes require some coordination amongst ourselves (should be our job, not yours, really) and historically we haven't been so good at that -- in part because IMO there hasn't been any system thing better than a heads-up email in place.

Jeff