Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 13:49:20 EST

Greg KH wrote:
A lot of time that already happens today, between the different
subsystem maintainers. We routinely pass PCI and driver core changes
through the network and scsi and ata trees in order to handle merge
issues properly. This already happened in a few places in the
2.6.25-rc1 merge cycle.

Yep. I do that with the powerpc tree sometimes, too: I'll ACK a drivers/net change that is obviously PPC-specific, and that drivers/net change will go in via paulus.

Like you said, it's done on a per-patch not git tree basis at the moment.

That sort of cooperation has become common: in areas of shared responsibility, request an ack, and then the "most obvious" person (generally the one with most merge dependencies) merges that shared-responsibility change along with some other changes specific to their own tree.

Jeff