Re: [git pull] kgdb-light -v10

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 14:03:10 EST

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:

> There tend to be timeouts (e.g. softlock/nmi watchdog at least). I think
> some of the IPIs eventually time out too. In general losing a lot
> of time can lead to weird side effects.

I do agree that kgdb and watchdogs aren't like to work well together. And
I don't think you can sanely expect to not have a "disable lockup
detection" when you start poking around with kgdb.

We also just have to expect that time will also stop while sometbody is
messing around with kgdb.

So I don't dispute that any kernel debugger will *always* be intrusive in
those ways. That's pretty inevitable. I just think the code itself can try
to avoid hooking into various places all over the map.

Linus