Re: "ide=reverse" do we still need this?

From: Michael Ellerman
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 07:16:53 EST

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 13:06 +0100, Rene Herman wrote:
> On 13-02-08 05:44, Greg KH wrote:
>
> >> While details escape me somewhat again at the monment, a few months ago
> >> I was playing around with a PCI Promise IDE controller and needed
> >> ide=reverse to save me from having to switch disks around to still have
> >> a bootable system.
> >>
> >> Or some such. Not too clear anymore, but I remember it saved the day.
> >
> > You couldn't just change the boot disk in grub?
> >
> > Or use an initramfs and /dev/disk/by-id/ to keep any future moves stable?
>
> No. The thing is that you need these kinds of hacks while messing with old
> systems, building and stripping them, often in recovery type of situations.
>
> As said (same as the other person I saw reacting) details of what was most
> decidedly needed last time around escape me at the moment, but ide=reverse
> is the kind of hack that saves one hours of unscrewing computer cases and
> switching disks around while building stuff, making quick tests, doing
> recovery...
>
> If it must go for the greater architectural good, so be it, but it's the
> type of thing that's used specifically in the situations where you don't
> have stable, well arranged (or known!) setups to begin with.

I might be off the deep end, but isn't this what
Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt is for?

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
OzLabs, IBM Australia Development Lab

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person