Re: latest list of unused Kconfig variables

From: Josh Boyer
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 08:34:16 EST

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:56:34 -0500 (EST)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> now that 2.6.25-rc1 is out, i can start updating the output from my
> scanning scripts. the first updated output is the list of currently
> unused Kconfig variables -- variables that are defined in some Kconfig
> file somewhere but appear to be entirely unused throughout the source
> tree.
>
> latest output here, sorted by architecture:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Unused_CONFIG_variables
>
> as always, there will probably be some false positives for one reason
> or another.
>
> output from the other scanning scripts will be up in short order.

You have lots of false positives (or something) for arch/powerpc. Seems
your script picked up #define names and comments that happen to match a
Kconfig variable? And you have false positives on several CPU
variables, as they are used within Kconfig files themselves to select
different sets of options.

For arch/ppc, the WANT_EARLY_SERIAL stuff was added by Al to fix those
boards that unconditionally called early_serial_setup by selecting
SERIAL_8250 in commit f08243a491f3e21feabbb04476a03fb0cbc975ff. Al,
couldn't we just select SERIAL_8250 right in the board config
instead?

Of course, arch/ppc is dying soon-ish anyway so we might not even
bother.

josh