Re: Handshaking on USB serial devices

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 15:18:32 EST

On Thursday 14 February 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
>> byte of a packet is being thrown away about .1% of the time for the
>> pl2303, but I'm not sure if the FTDI driver still suffers from a similar
>> rash. I
>
>A 20 byte low speed message is too small for flow control to account for
>it.

Where then could the first byte go? Note I'm not fussing about flow controls
per sei, so the subject line maybe needs to be adjusted, but they obviously
work well enough that a multimegabyte transfer to my printer works very well,
but about usb trying to entirely replace serial here. There does seem to be
a problem but I'm not 100% positive where it is in the chain of a usb packets
travels. What I've observed, with hidraw I think it was, is that the
first 'wake up' byte incoming didn't seem to be there.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)