RE: Strange hang on ia64 with CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME=y

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 17:25:55 EST

> I guess sched_init() is too early... it does seem really strange to
> me, but I just double checked with Ingo's patch and it does indeed
> hang. The slow way to make progress is just to go through
> start_kernel() line-by-line and enable cpu_clock() at each stage, and
> see where it stops hanging. I'll give that a shot as a background
> process (my ia64 box takes quite a while to boot, so each test takes a
> long time but requires very little of my attention).

We *ought* to be safe after cpu_init() ... which is called from setup_arch(),
which is several calls before sched_init().

Thanks for looking at this though ... my ability to test just went
away for a while ... some lab re-organization means all my systems
just got powered off and removed from their rack so the rack can be
moved to a new location.

-Tony