[RFC] PCI: remove the "shadow" device list

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 19:43:16 EST

Here are a series of 12 patches that I've added to my quilt tree for
2.6.26 that delete the "shadow" PCI device tree. There is no real need
to keep two lists of all PCI devices in the kernel, the driver core
should be able to properly handle all of this.

We do keep the bus list of devices, as that is still useful for a lot of
things, and I don't see any obviously easy way to clean that up at the
moment.

Overall, the patch ends up deleting a lot of code, which is always a
good thing.

Comments are appreciated.

thanks,

greg k-h

----------------------

Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt | 4 -
arch/frv/mb93090-mb00/pci-frv.h | 2 -
arch/frv/mb93090-mb00/pci-vdk.c | 53 -----
arch/mn10300/unit-asb2305/pci-asb2305.h | 2 -
arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/pci_dlpar.c | 7 +-
arch/sh/drivers/pci/pci-sh4.h | 2 -
arch/x86/kernel/pci-calgary_64.c | 3 +-
arch/x86/pci/common.c | 61 ------
arch/x86/pci/pcbios.c | 72 -------
arch/x86/pci/pci.h | 3 -
drivers/ide/ide-scan-pci.c | 9 +-
drivers/ide/ide.c | 12 -
drivers/pci/bus.c | 15 +-
drivers/pci/hotplug/Kconfig | 4 +-
drivers/pci/hotplug/cpcihp_generic.c | 8 +-
drivers/pci/probe.c | 56 ++----
drivers/pci/remove.c | 10 +-
drivers/pci/search.c | 313 +++++++++++-----------------
include/asm-sh/mpc1211/pci.h | 2 -
include/linux/ide.h | 1 -
include/linux/pci.h | 20 +--

---------------

Greg Kroah-Hartman (12):
PCI: remove pci_find_present
PCI: remove pci_get_device_reverse from calgary driver
IDE: remove ide=reverse IDE core
PCI: remove pci_get_device_reverse
PCI: clean up search.c a lot
PCI Hotplug: make cpcihp driver use modern apis
PCI Hotplug: the ibm driver is not dependant on PCI_LEGACY
PCI: remove initial bios sort of PCI devices on x86
PCI: make no_pci_devices() use the pci_bus_type list
PCI: add is_added flag to struct pci_dev
PCI: remove pcibious_fixup_ghosts()
PCI: remove global list of PCI devices