Re: 2.6.24-mm1 bugs

From: Kok, Auke
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 13:37:57 EST

Miklos Szeredi wrote:
>> the register dump looks OK as far as I can see. Since initialization
>> works OK and the adapter seems to be setup OK reading from the
>> register dump, I'm not sure at all what is going on.
>>
>> can you try manually ifup-ing the device and running tcpdump? do you
>> see packets coming in?
>
> Well it does seem to receive the DHCP reply.
>
>> just for kicks, have you tried a different cable? or is the adapter
>> consistently working properly using a different kernel/driver?
>
> It has been consistently working properly for a long time with various
> kernels (and the e1000 driver). I've now swithed to 2.6.24-mm1 and
> e1000e, and it's almost consistently broken after boot and resume, and
> sometimes needs several tries (with the KDE NetworkManager thingy) to
> make it work.

maybe it's worth trying linux-2.6.git instead for now? The e1000e driver is
actually involved in the dhcp handshake so we can't just rule a bug out yet.
However, with my own t60 things appear to work just fine.

how does manually getting a dhcp address go? can you eliminate networkmanager
perhaps? just kill & restart dhclient over and over again...

Auke