accessing core temp sensors in the kernel

From: Dan Upton
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 16:12:54 EST

I'm trying to do some work on thermally-aware scheduling, specifically
using the coretemp module to access core temperature sensors on the
Intel Core2 platform. I know how to access them from user mode,
reading files from sysfs, but clearly that's not the way to do it in
the kernel. Specifically, I'm not sure how, in the scheduler, to get
copies of the appropriate device structures to call

static struct coretemp_data *coretemp_update_device(struct device *dev)

(in hwmon/coretemp.c).

Can anybody give me pointers where to get started?

Thanks,
-dan