Re: USB regression (and other failures) in 2.6.2[45]*

From: Alan Stern
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 10:20:31 EST

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Oliver Pinter wrote:

> On 2/15/08, Andrew Buehler <abuehler.kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In my workplace, I use a customized version of Novell's ZENworks imaging
> > boot CD, which is based off of Linux. I have one particular model of
> > laptop - the IBM/Lenovo R61 - on which three different things fail
> > completely in current kernels (tested with 2.6.24.2 and 2.6.25-rc1):
> > USB, AHCI (and thus access to the SATA drive), and networking. As a
> > consequence of all three failing in parallel, I have no practical way to
> > get logs and other information off of the machine to help with tracking
> > down the bugs.

To make a long story short, the USB symptoms you describe indicate a
problem with interrupt routing. This could well explain the other
difficulties too. There are various kernel parameters you can try
putting on the boot command line to work around it: acpi=noirq or
acpi=off or pci=noacpi or a few others.

Alan Stern