[REGRESSION 2.6.23] no vga console and no messages

From: Daniel Barkalow
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 21:56:21 EST

For some reason I can't see and don't know how to debug, in 2.6.23 on my
server I don't get the vga console, but only get the dummy console.

I also noticed that the documentation is wrong and the Kconfig file is
confused; it's impossible to not have DUMMY_CONSOLE set, because at least
one of PROM_CONSOLE and VGA_CONSOLE must not be y. Normally (maybe only
due to the fact that "dummycon" sorts before "promcon", "sticon", and
"vgacon"), it actually only stays active if your real console doesn't also
get initialized. This isn't my problem, AFAICT (my kernel panics if I
disable DUMMY_CONSOLE, presumably for lack of any console at all); it's
just misleading.

I'm not seeing anything in dmesg to indicate why VGA+ isn't getting
registered successfully, or anything to suggest it is trying to be, nor do
I see anything in a 2.6.22 boot about why that seems to work. Any
suggestions on further things to try?

I haven't tested anything newer than 2.6.23.x, but I looked through the
git history and didn't find anything that looked relevant, or even anyone
who might know about it.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*