Re: linux-next: first tree

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 08:15:45 EST

Hi Paolo,

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:11:33 +0100 "Paolo Ciarrocchi" <paolo.ciarrocchi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to update the "The development process" section in
> Documentation/HOWTO including some information about the linux-next tree.
>
> I understand what it's including but I didn't get how it will fit in
> the process.
> Is Linus going to pull from that tree as soon as we reach -rc0 or this
> is just a tree
> used for testing what will be pushed to Linus as soon as the two weeks
> merge window
> open?

The intention is the latter. I hope to help people sort out some of the
conflicts and cross subsystem issues before we get into the merge window
and the code gets into Linus' tree.

Andrew Morton also hopes that the linux-next tree may get more testing
that the -mm tree did if we can stop it having to many regressions by
only including the less experimental code that is destined for the next
kernel release.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx