Re: Linux 2.6.25-rc2

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 09:01:11 EST

* Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo, a comment in slub.c explains it :
>
> /*
> * The SLUB_FASTPATH path is provisional and is currently disabled if the
> * kernel is compiled with preemption or if the arch does not support
> * fast cmpxchg operations. There are a couple of coming changes that will
> * simplify matters and allow preemption. Ultimately we may end up making
> * SLUB_FASTPATH the default.

well the feature is not complete and there are no reasons given _why_
it's not complete ... and even if there's a reason it should have been
deferred to the next merge window. We still have 10 year old "this is a
temporary hack" comments in the kernel ;-)

"hardware does not support it" is a valid argument, "kernel developer
had no time to implement it properly" is not ;-)

Ingo