Re: Where to put adapters, /proc is cool

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 14:56:20 EST

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:39:45 -0500 Karl Dahlke wrote:

> > So without knowing what an adapter is in this context /proc
> > seems to be a bad choice.
>
> The best explanation might be an example.
> I use my Jupiter speecha dapter all day, every day.
> It basically sends text to a speech synthesizer.
> It also has some virtual files.
> /proc/adapters/jupiter/synth can be used by a process
> to send text directly to the synthesizer.
>
> echo hello world >/proc/adapters/jupiter/synth
>
> And I hear hello world.

Like Jan said (ooooh, please use reply-to-all), the word "adapters"
is just too generic. We have lots of other kinds of "adapters".

> I don't use this virtual file often, but sometimes it's nice.
> A background process on another vt can wake me up when it's done.
> And this is just one example.
> Other virtual files load firmware and dictionaries into the dectalk synth, and so on.
> Other people use virtual files in their adapters as well.
> Really, /proc is the only place for these virtual files that interact
> directly with the kernel and/or its modules;
> I just wanted a fixed place under /proc for adapters to live,
> like sys ttys scsi net, and so on.
>
> >/proc is for processes (and was in the past used for all sort of crap).
>
> I gather from this that you don't like the way people
> are using /proc for user/kernel communication.
> I suppose it's a matter of taste,
> but I think it is one of the very coolest things about linux, period.
> I don't have to create 27 new ioctl calls, and have them approved by everyone,
> and make sure they don't collide with 363 other ioctl calls, every time I want
> some new communication with the kernel or its drivers.
> I can read and write files under /proc.
> I'm sorry, but I think it's cool.
>
> Cool or not, it seems to be here to stay,
> and I humbly suggest a standard location for adapters and their virtual files.
> /proc/adapters

So some driver(s) already uses /proc/adapters? That's too bad.

It really doesn't belong in /proc, but even if it did, would
/proc/speech make any sense? or /proc/synthesizer?

---
~Randy