Re: [ofa-general] [2.6 patch] infiniband/hw/nes/nes_verbs.c: fixoff-by-one

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 10:51:10 EST

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 06:39:45AM -0600, Glenn Streiff wrote:

> > this bug...
> > >
> > > Heh, sorry.
> > >
> > > Glenn -- please review Adrian's patches and let me know
> > which ones are
> > > good to apply.
> > >

> I went ahead and created a patch series and attributed Adrian
> for the patches of his I liked. There were a couple that
> I tweaked. Wasn't sure if all the hunks would apply nicely
> after that if we mixed and matched his and mine, hence the series.
>
> Hope that's okay. Should I have gotten his ack for the ones
> I rewrote? The fixes were pretty small so I figured they didn't
> really need more review.

Looking at the patches what you did seems OK.

But regarding "review" I have a different criticism directed at Roland:

This driver should really have gotten some review before being included
in the kernel.

Even a simple checkpatch run finds more than > 250 stylistic errors
(not code bugs but cases where the driver violates the standard code
formatting rules of kernel code).

And I'm not talking about the > 2000 checkpatch warnings that are mostly
about too long lines (which should arguably also be fixed).

And many more issues that could have been foung during a review.
E.g. when you look at 3/8 from this series the code
if (!cm_node)
return -EINVAL;
new_send = kzalloc(sizeof(*new_send), GFP_ATOMIC);
if (!new_send)
return -1;
doesn't look good since the -1 should most likely better be something
like -ENOMEM (I haven't checked whether you can immediately change it
at this specific place).

And these are just comments from someone with zero knowledge about
InfiniBand, but I'd expect InfiniBand-specifig bugs might be found
before they hit users if an InfiniBand maintainer would review the
complete driver.

Note that this is not meant as a criticism against Glenn - it's
normal that submitted code contains bugs, but a code review can help to
cope with this.

> Glenn

cu
Adrian