[announce] Xtables, Xtables-addons 1.5.1 and Writing Xtables Modules

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 14:37:45 EST

Hello everyone,

I have released âXtablesâ 1.5.1, which is a package of my ongoing
iptables development that I did lately. Patrick McHardy was not
available last week to merge patches due to higher powers, so I
branched off the iptables subversion trunk into git since quilting on
top of svn was not so fun.

Xtables, that is the goal sought, will merge and unify arptables and
ebtables as becomes possible.

What will now become of the iptables and xtables packages? Xtables
clearly is "more recent" than the latest iptables svn, but I would
not want to do Xtables as a continuous parallel fork to iptablesÂ.
Maybe mergeâ or declare it the new official thing -- who knows.

Additionally, âXtables-addonsâ 1.5.1 was released, which is supposed
to supersede patch-o-matic(-ng). As with POM, this package contains
not-so-officially-approved extensions. But different from POM is that
it does not (and will not) contain any "patches" that would require
patching the kernel. Just extensions that can be compiled and then
run instantly.

Furthermore, I would like to make aware of âWriting your own Xtables
moduleâ document, which describes the code needed to get started with
your own xtables modules. It is based upon Nicolas's earlier "Writing
your own iptables module"
. . . . . . . http://jengelh.hopto.org/documents/Writing_Xtables.pdf

URLs:
tarballs . . . http://dev.computergmbh.de/files/xtables/
gitweb . . . . http://dev.computergmbh.de/gitweb.cgi?p=xtables
. . . . . . . http://dev.computergmbh.de/gitweb.cgi?p=xtables-addons
gitclone . . . git://dev.computergmbh.de/xtables
. . . . . . . git://dev.computergmbh.de/xtables-addons

SRPM for reference how to build it in an automatic environment
. . . . . . . http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-jengelh/SRPMS/
RPMs (SUSE). . http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-jengelh/SUSE-10.3/

ÂIt is supposed to be stable.
ÂFAQ: On a source base. User-visible commands like ip6tables remain.
ÂRead: merging forth and back between iptables-svn and xtables-git =
not good.
âThere were talks about moving the iptables subversion repository to
git, but I could not wait for you guys, sorry ;-)