Re: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 18:44:14 EST

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:38:14 +0100
Krzysztof Halasa <khc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I'm personally of the opinion that a lot of checkpatch "fixes" are
> > anything but. That mainly concerns fixing overlong lines
>
> Perhaps we should increase line length limit, 132 should be fine.
> Especially useful with long printk() lines and long arithmetic
> expressions.

Agreed. The fact I'm having to fix bugs introduced by incorrect printk
wrapping confirms that for printk strings at least it is overzealous.

I'm all for it complaining about

printk(KERN_FOO "<90 chars>", foo, bar + 37);

type bits when the foo, bar should be underneath to be visible but for
straight quoted text too long it should not warn and try to get the text
folded.

Alan