Re: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 19:31:59 EST

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:31:44PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:38:14 +0100
> Krzysztof Halasa <khc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > I'm personally of the opinion that a lot of checkpatch "fixes" are
> > > anything but. That mainly concerns fixing overlong lines
> >
> > Perhaps we should increase line length limit, 132 should be fine.
> > Especially useful with long printk() lines and long arithmetic
> > expressions.
>
> Agreed. The fact I'm having to fix bugs introduced by incorrect printk
> wrapping confirms that for printk strings at least it is overzealous.
>
> I'm all for it complaining about
>
> printk(KERN_FOO "<90 chars>", foo, bar + 37);
>
> type bits when the foo, bar should be underneath to be visible but for
> straight quoted text too long it should not warn and try to get the text
> folded.

I think it should warn, but people have to be aware of the following:
- checkpatch errors are for stuff that really has to be fixed
- checkpatch warnings are for stuff that should be looked at
- the goal is not 0 checkpatch warnings but readable and bugfree code

A nice property of checkpatch is that it encourages to look closer at
code like the following (it warns about the volatile):

if (!netif_queue_stopped(netdev)) {
netif_stop_queue(netdev);
barrier();
if ((((((volatile u16)nesnic->sq_tail)+(nesnic->sq_size*2))-nesnic->sq_head) & (nesnic->sq_size - 1)) != 1) {
netif_start_queue(netdev);
goto sq_no_longer_full;
}
}