Re: 2.6.24 new perfmon kernel code base + libpfm + pfmon finallyavailable!

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 03:29:42 EST

* stephane eranian <eranian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have done that in the past. I will do this again. But if you look at
> the patch as it is released, you will see that it is very large. Not
> that easy to split for LKML review.

If you want a feature merged upstream it is in your basic interest to
keep it in a tidy, cleanly split up series of patches, with no
development history in the patches - and frequently post those patches
to lkml. (it also makes sense tocount the number of times you've posted
them and make that visible in the postings: so the first series should
be titled "perform2, v1", the second one "perfmon2, v2" - that way when
people see "perform2, v25" they'll get a rough picture of the maturity
of the patchset)

Ingo