Re: [xfs-masters] Re: filesystem corruption on xfs after 2.6.25-rc1(bisected, powerpc related?)

From: Mark Goodwin
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 16:01:19 EST

Eric Sandeen wrote:
Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 01:13:56AM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 of February 2008, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:52:56AM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
I'm not suggesting a partial revert; I just wonder which part of the
change is causing the problem, as part of the debugging process.
I debuged this a bit further by testing the 4 changed functions
individually. The problem only occurs with the new version of
xfs_lowbit64.

FWIW, Dave & I did some testing/debugging on 32-bit powerpc, and it is
indeed only xfs_lowbit64 which is doing the wrong thing on that arch,
because generic find_next_bit is doing the wrong thing on big-endian
32-bit systems, for sizes > 32 bits, near as I can tell.

Rather than reverting it all, I think just changing xfs_lowbit64 back to:

Thanks Eric (and Dave), we'll look at your proposed fix. But for now,
the bit ops cleanup patch has been fully reverted, see Lachlan's earlier
mail and git pull request.

We're also expanding our internal h/w test matrix to include some
additional platforms to avoid this kind of thing in the future.

Cheers
-- Mark