Re: arcmsr & areca-1660 - strange behaviour under heavy load

From: Zan Lynx
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 19:37:53 EST

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 20:29 +0100, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> no, right now I have the machine in the weird state, swap is empty (3GB),
> and so is bigger part of RAM (~100MB free), and the gcc crashes even when
> trying to compile c program with empty main function. so it doesn't seem
> to be problem with memory exhaustion.

Maybe memory fragmentation? Perhaps the driver tries to allocate a
large block of memory and cannot find a continuous block of the right
size.

Maybe the driver developers used different kernel .config options than
you are using.

Try increasing the value in /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes.

Try switching some things like SLAB or SLUB, try booting with
kernelcore=512M to enable the Movable memory zone, or try 64-bit vs
32-bit kernels.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx@xxxxxxx>