Re: [patch 5/6] mempolicy: add MPOL_F_RELATIVE_NODES flag

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Wed Feb 27 2008 - 12:09:26 EST

Lee wrote:
> 1) this IS a change in behavior, right? My first inclination is to shy
> away from this. However, ...
>
> 2) the current interaction of mempolicies with cpusets is not well
> documented--until Paul's cpuset.4 man page hits the streets, anyway.
> That doc does say that mempolicy is not allowed to use a node outside
> the cpuset. It does NOT say how this is enforced--reject vs masking vs

We should strive to minimize change in existing behaviour, especially
on points where either way could be arguably a reasonable choice in
some situations, and neither way is a clearly inescapable bug in other
situations.

One almost always breaks someone, somewhere with such changes. You
need a compelling reason to do that, not just a "on this hand, on that
hand" design choice.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability