Re: [RFC] CodeStyle: Use spaces when aligning/decorating

From: Richard Knutsson
Date: Wed Feb 27 2008 - 16:48:25 EST

Bob Copeland wrote:
> FWIW I prefer the {deleted} language. // PI = 3;

Well, actually I like it too. But I think it should be up to the
programmer which setting to use + it seems some people have really taken
this to heart, going from 'tab => 8 characters wide' to '8 spaces =>
tab', obscuring tab's position as a 'logical indention'.

Well, no one's saying that you can't configure your editor any way you
want. The tabs=8 is a good cue for the 80-column rule, though.
The problem isn't "should tab be <any number> wide", it is those who want to force replacement of alignment-spaces with tabs (aka checkpatch.pl). Also, the 80-rule is not really effective if not using 8-wide tabs ;)
IMO, CodingStyle used to be a good, funny read and now it's just simply
full of boring pedantic laws.
Unfortunately...