devres and requesting resources

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 19:36:48 EST

Something I just noticed, which I missed during the initial devres review...

The vast majority of my ATA drivers originally called pci_request_regions(), to reserve all regions attached to a device.

In converting to pcim_iomap_regions(), we no longer reserve /all/ regions, only the ones requested.

This is actually a bug: it was intentional to call pci_request_regions(), because that ensures that no other software will use our resources -- even if we are not actively using the resource in question.

Or IOW, I wanted to ensure that there would be no device sharing... which this devres conversion accidentally enabled.

The simple fix is obviously to replace pci_request_region() call with pci_request_regions() in lib/devres.c, but I wonder if that will break any existing driver?

Jeff