Re: Very high IOWait during all disk activity

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Date: Fri Feb 29 2008 - 10:19:13 EST

I recently noticed on a number of my Linux boxes that during disk
activity, CPU usage was consistently hitting 100%. A little digging
showed that the CPU was spending up to around 65% of its time in an
IOWait state. Checked this with kernels 2.6.22 and 2.6.25-rc3, and
also across SATA and PATA drives on three different machines, all with
the same results. I also checked back with an old Ubuntu 6.06 Live CD
and that also exhibits the problem.

Having done some digging on the net, I can't get a definitive answer
as to whether this is considered "normal". Some people suggest that
IOWait is informational and doesn't indicate a problem, but based on
my admittedly limited understanding of such things, the CPU shouldn't
need to spend much time on disk I/O these days due to the use of DMA.

Is it expected behaviour for the CPU to spend such a large amount of
time in the IOWait state during disk I/O?

Unless you can write to the disk faster than fetch data from /dev/zero - yes, it is normal.

BTW, it doesn't mean that your CPU's cycles are wasted. You will see big "wa" numbers when there are no other tasks to schedule at the same time.

Try running:

cat /dev/zero | bzip2 -c >/dev/null

when your IOwait is big (because you write a big file), and then watch the numbers.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org